Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Mourning the Loss of Ajeet Singh Matharu

India is far away, and news travels slowly. Earlier this evening, I caught wind of a tragic car accident that killed a colleague and friend of mine this past July.


I only met Ajeet Singh Matharu once - out in California for a Sikh Studies conference at which I also presented a paper. The brevity of our relationship belies the depth of connection and inspiration I experienced with and from him. Ajeet manifested a calmness and centeredness that I rarely find. He was naturally funny, exceptionally bright, intellectually curious and genuinely warm-hearted. I felt welcome in his presence, accepted, embraced.


I can still vividly recall our first dinner with the panel of presenters. Ajeet and I huddled in the corner, throwing around and trying on different critical theorists and Sikh scholars like they were old sweaters lumped together in a pile. We had both brought our respective intellectual wardrobes, and that night I discovered a whole new style. We hypothesized, intellectualized, and laughed throughout. It was one of the best nights of my life.


Ajeet's loss is both stunning and deeply saddening. My heart breaks, my soul tears. But he will not be forgotten.


Ajeet, in all of his academic splendor, testifies to one of the greatest truths: "God is not found by intellectual or clever devices" (SGGS, 1098). As a white American struggling to fit in, Ajeet showed me the love of God. "Those who serve You are immersed in You. You unite them in Union with Yourself" (SGGS, 1060).


Thank you, Ajeet, for your life and for your friendship.




So satguru piara mere naal hay: that beloved true Guru is always with me.





2 comments:

  1. What a lovely remembrance, Erik! I especially enjoyed the imagery of the intellectual sweaters!--Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fortunate you were to have met him.

    ReplyDelete