Monday, December 6, 2010

Discipline

One of the most powerful and provocative learnings that Parisa shared with us this past Sunday was that of discipline. In committing herself to, and then training for, a triathlon earlier this year, she developed a physical routine to which she held herself accountable. It is tempting, Parisa admitted, to be lured into endless cross-training, switching exercises on a whim. And certainly, there is something to be said for 'switching it up' from time to time, in order to isolate different muscles. But the tendency to bounce around in an unfocused frenzy can be equally as damaging as falling victim to an overall flakiness - both result in underdeveloped strength and weak stamina.  


Credit: Mike Baird
The jump from physical discipline to spiritual discipline is obvious, though often neglected. Growing up as a Unitarian Universalist, I had little difficulty finding someone (usually a family member, friend or coach) to coax me into playing a physical sport. First it was basketball, then soccer, then volleyball. All three demanded rigorous training and intense commitment. But when it came to spiritual exercise, I found myself empty-handed, unhelpfully counseled to 'follow my search for truth and meaning.' I'll follow, I agreed, but I first need to learn how to walk!


Tending to the needs of our spiritual health is vitally important, I believe. I've seen it in my own life. When I'm spiritually disciplined, I feel more centered, more grounded, more alert, more receptive.


Of course, the very idea of discipline can seem off-putting to some - a relapse of that authoritarian religious sentiment we threw off by becoming Unitarian Universalists. Here, French mystic Simone Weil may be of assistance. On her view, we would do well to draw a distinction between externally-imposed and internally-motivated discipline. The former should be avoided, the latter embraced. For self-willed commitment - a personal pledge to spiritual practice - can in fact be liberating. If you think about it, there is something inherently unsettling about the absence of such discipline. Without it, we are little more than slaves to the anarchy of external circumstance. To be spiritually disciplined is to take responsibility for making meaning on our own. It is to receive the world, filter it through our practice, and then live on those spiritual nutrients.


Do you have a spiritual practice? Would you consider yourself disciplined? Should Unitarian Universalists be spiritually disciplined? Why, or why not?


Please: continue the conversation.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Erik,
    Lovely reflection, but it was a triathlon. I don't want to get credit for something even more intense than I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My apologies! Triathlon it shall be. Perhaps the rhetorical slip will entice you to consider a Leap of Faith of your own :)

    ReplyDelete