Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine







I always enjoy hearing bad pick-up lines, preferably not in action. And in February they seem to blossom into full absurdity. Some are unapologetically offensive; but some can be rather clever, or at minimum entertaining. Recently, I overheard the following (unsuccessful) attempt: "Excuse me - I seem to have lost my phone number, could I borrow yours?" An instant classic.



This past Sunday, I closed my sermon with an invitation to reconsider what it means to have, or be, a Valentine.
Compassion answers the question, “are we not of interest to each other?” with a bold: Yes. Yes, we are of interest to each other. Yes, our interests are of interest to each other. Compassion is about celebrating the things we love, more than sacrificing for the things we lament. The passion of suffering initiates, what only the passion of devotion can consummate.
This Valentine’s Day, pay attention to...the people who have come alive, and you with them. These are your saints. These are your Saint Valentines. Let them know.
And be warned: with enough compassion, you may soon be canonized by someone you don’t yet know.
You can watch the full sermon here.


How would you describe your Valentine? Please: continue the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment