Thursday, March 31, 2011

Universalism Against Fear

Upon further reflection, I realize that I may have let us off the hook a bit too easily this past Sunday. Undoubtedly, it was important to emphasize the Universalist Gospel of our inherent savedness. But if we are to spiritually overthrow the pervasive fear that grips our nation, we must recognize the necessity of working together, and above all, holding one another accountable. 


On Sunday, I used the wilderness story of Exodus (16:13-20) as a touchstone, recalling the stench that proceeded nightfall and the Israelite decision to hoard food:
My beloved religious companions: do you smell something in the air? Now that night is retreating; now that the stock market is once again sputtering; do you smell something in the air? As the rubble of earthquakes and oil spills and armed uprisings is cleared away, do you smell something in the air of these United States of America? Because I do. I can smell the stench of fear. I can smell the stench of selfishness. And like Moses, I’m getting angry.
I’m angry that the persistence of the American Dream depends on the perpetuation of the American Nightmare. Some enjoy the best healthcare in the world because others have none. Some enjoy generous corporate bonuses year after year because others work three jobs just to survive. Some enjoy top schooling and safe neighborhoods and large homes because others have been pushed to the further side of the Avenue.
Our aching souls are the symptoms of a system at its breaking point. I hear the world crying out for us to stop: ‘Stop living for yourselves at the expense of others. Stop being so selfish. Let go of what is not yours to take.’ [...]
Broken systems reflect broken spirits. And I have to believe that underneath the abuses of self-interest lurk the wounds of self-doubt. Between nightfall and daybreak, fear set in. We have become distrustful of ourselves.
I then invoked our Universalist heritage as a powerful spiritual antidote to self-fear and self-hatred:
So here’s the short of it: I want you to know that you are outloved.
In the face of self-fear, Universalism has the audacity to declare that each and every one of us is already loved beyond measure. Each and every one of us is worthy of salvation. Just by being you, you have already passed the test. You see: our ancestors knew that you will experience more love in your lifetime than you can possibly author with the pen of your own heart. Even in the longest hours of loneliness, the Source of your soul rejoices within your breast. You are outloved. What a terribly beautiful truth. Overwhelming in fact. Hard to believe. Taken on faith. Even in the longest hours of loneliness, when the world feels like it’s falling apart, you are being held in a greater love. The Divine believes in you. [...]
To be saved, I think, is to be oriented towards what is Ultimate. To be rooted. To be seen. It’s finding your place in the world, knowing your purpose, answering the call to deliver the bread of life. To be saved is to be lovely. And to be loveable. And to be loving.
The message is an important one to hear over and over again. It reminds us that individually, we are worthy. What was missing was the reminder that collectively, we are responsible. Even when scared, even in the thick of darkness, we have to call one another to our better selves. And we have to name the times we fall short of the salvation at hand. 

In the wilderness, we may need someone to step in - someone to call us out on our hoarding and call us back to the Good News of our collective fate. What if, instead of retreating to their private tents, the Israelites had drawn together in the commons, listening deeply and supporting one another amidst the onset of fear? 

Please: continue the conversation. 


1 comment:

  1. I'm collecting and hoarding stuff, because I'm afraid I won't have enough when I'm 70 or 80+. I still think that I'm alone, even though I'm not. My parents are dead, so I think that I have nobody to fall back on, even though I do. I know I help other people out, but I don't think they would help me, even though they do.

    My commons is First Parish.

    ReplyDelete